In the Windows 8 Microsoft made some useful improvements esp. to Windows Explorer, but they also (inexplicably) took some things away. But now you can get those things back with OldNewExplorer App for Windows 8 and 8.1.
OldNewExplorer gives you the best of both worlds: use the Windows 8 features you like, and bring back the Windows 7 features you miss.
What is OldNewExplorer?
OldNewExplorer is the Windows 8.1 (and Windows 8) shell extension / tweaker which can undo “improvements” to file browsing made in newer Windows version. Everything is optional for your liking.
– Restore devices / drives grouping
- Everything is ‘Devices and drives’. That’s stupid! O-N-E can restore grouping which made sense in Win7/8.
– Restore libraries / remove folders
- Remove all those folders which were unoptionally added into Windows 8.1 This PC folder and put the libraries back to their place, without registry hacking / breaking apps.
– Restore command bar / remove Ribbon
- Because some people consider it an abomination.
– Restore details pane at bottom
- Same reason; reclaim useful horizontal space.
– Improve styling
- Get rid of some Win7 stuff here and there; improve styling with some built-in visual styles.
- For themers / skinners, O-N-E can help to override a lot of hardcoded styling in Windows 8, maybe even Start screen!
How to install OldNewExplorer (easy to install):
- Extract the necessary files to a folder on your system,
- Open up the portable preferences app, and click the Install button.
- This will install the necessary system files to tweak Windows Explorer.
- From there, you can check and uncheck the features you want, so you have the perfect Explorer for you.
With OldNewExplorer, you can ditch the ribbon, bring back the details pane at the bottom of the window, and more:
If you want to uninstall the tweak, just open up the configuration window and click the Uninstall button. Subscribe us Below to Stay Updated about Latest Tech News and How To Guides.