Table of Contents
In this post, you will find a list of all SSD firmware update tools from various brands such as Samsung, Toshiba, Adata, Crucial, Corsair, Transcend, GSkill, Plextor, etc. Also, steps to update SSD firmware using these SSD firmware update tools.
SSDs are quite affordable now than what they used to be a year ago. Also, new Solid-state drives come with higher endurance of as much as 500TBW+ which is like writing 100GB every day for the next 10 years and still can write 50GB per day for more 10 years.
But monitoring and keeping the SSD healthy is most important if you want to use the drive without issues for a longer time. Updating firmware is one such important aspect as firmware helps fix bugs and optimize the SSD for better performance and endurance along with better security with firmware level encryption.
So here is a list of SSD firmware updaters and update tools that you can download and install to update your SSD firmware. We have mentioned step by step instructions to download and install a firmware update on almost all SSDs.
How to Update SSD Firmware in Windows, Linux, and Mac
Please confirm the SSD model before downloading and updating the firmware. Wrong firmware installation can permanently damage your SSD and make it unusable. So be careful.
WARNING: Before upgrading SSD firmware, we recommend you to backup your critical files. Firmware upgrades are mostly smooth and error-free but ‘sh*t’ happens. So, backup for just in case situations.
You Have Been Warned!
1. Samsung SSD Firmware
Samsung provides the Samsung Magician tool that can be used to upgrade the Samsung SSD firmware in just a few clicks. It’s a completely safe way to update SSD firmware.
Steps to upgrade Samsung SSD firmware in Windows PC:
- Download, install and open Samsung Magician tool and click ‘Firmware Update’
- The tool will check for the firmware update and will also ask you to back up your data before upgrading the Samsung SSD firmware.
- If the firmware update is available, click ‘Update’. It prompts a warning message that the system will restart. So make sure to save all running tasks.
- In just a few seconds, the update will be completed and the system will restart automatically.
- After the restart, open the Samsung Magician tool to confirm the SSD firmware update is successful.
- Samsung SATA SSD Firmware Installation Guide: 1.25MB DOWNLOAD
- Samsung SATA SSD-SATA SSD Firmware Installation Guide: 0.45MB DOWNLOAD
2. Corsair SSD Firmware
Corsair also developed SSD Toolbox which can be used to quickly update Corsair SSD firmware in Windows PC.
Steps to upgrade Corsair SSD firmware in Windows PC:
- Download the Corsair SSD Toolbox.
- Backup all important data from the SSD.
- Install and run Corsair SSD Toolbox and select the Corsair SSD drive.
- The UI is poor but this Corsair SSD firmware update tool does the job perfectly fine.
- After selecting the SSD, click Firmware Update at the bottom.
- It will show current firmware and the firmware to which you can upgrade your Corsair SSD.
- Download the update and click ‘Apply.’
- In just a few seconds, the firmware will be updated. The system may restart after the upgrade and it’s completely normal.
3. G.SKILL SSD Firmware
G.Skill provides a basic SSD firmware updater tool for all it’s SSD. All you have to do is download the tool and the firmware update for your SSD from their website.
Steps to update the G.SKILL Phoenix SSD and Phoenix Pro SSD:
- Make sure the G.SKILL SATA SSD is set to AHCI mode
- Download the right SSD firmware update file and extract it
- List of G.SKILL Firmware and SSD Firmware updater tool
- Parent DirectoryFALCON-2030.zip1.rarzip
- Phoenix Original firmware update tool.rar
- firmware 2.1.rar
- firmware 3.2.rar
- firmware 4.0.zip
- 2A.zip 2B.zip
- Then right-click on the “ssdupdate.exe” and choose “Run as administrator.”
- The SSD upgrade will automatically detect the Phoenix/Phoenix Pro SSD and list in the column.
- Click “…” button and choose the firmware package file you downloaded earlier.
- Choose the G.SKILL SSD from the list that you want to update with the firmware and update.
In case any error appears during the update, please choose another SSD firmware update package file (the one that belongs to your G Skill SDD) to update. Alternatively, you can directly update from G.SKILL SSD firmware updater tool also if you aren’t sure which is the right firmware for your SSD. Follow these steps:
- Click ‘Download Firmware to Selected Drive’, a warning message to backup drive will appear. Click continue.
- The G.SKILL SSD Firmware will be updated in a few seconds. The system will automatically reboot after the update is finished.
PLEASE NOTE: The updated software is available for Windows and there’s no support for Mac OS and NVIDIA chipset.
Also, Intel RST v10 Driver will make the updated software does not recognize the SSD. If that happens, change intel driver or Microsoft driver.
- Make sure the BIOS storage device is set to [AHCI].
- If you have not changed the BIOS option, the default value is [IDE].
- Storage =[IDE] updated software will not get your SSD information.
- You must avoid complex of the Update firmware environment. And make a backup before updating.
- After upgrading Firmware, if the computer can’t boot or recognize SSD, please power off for a few seconds then reboot. Upgrade will complete.
4. Transcend SSD Firmware
Transcend provides the Transcend SSD Scope tool for SSD support. It’s available for Windows and a Transcend SSD user can easily upgrade their SSD firmware with just a few clicks.
Steps to upgrade Transcend SSD firmware in Windows PC:
- Download and install the Transcend SSD Scope Tool
- Go to FW Update
- Select the Transcend SSD at the top and wait for the software to check for a firmware updates.
- If new firmware is available, click ‘Download’ and then install the software.
- The downloaded file is stored on “D:\Transcend_SSD_FW_Update_Package” by default. If you don’t have (D:) partition, the destination will be “C:\Transcend_SSD_FW_Update_Package”.
- Click ‘Yes’ when prompted to open the package file and then restart the system to finish the Transcend SSD Firmware update process.
Supported Transcend SSD Models: SSD230S / SSD220S / SSD370 / SSD370S / SSD360S / SSD340 / MTE850 / MTE820 / MTE110S / MTS400 / MTS400S / MTS420 / MTS420S / MTS430S / MTS600 / MTS800 / MTS800S / MTS810 / MTS820 / MTS820S / MTS830S / MSA340 / MSA370 / MSA230S / ESD400K / ESD220C / CFX650
5. Plextor SSD Firmware
Plextor doesn’t have any SSD management tool and but it provides firmware updates as exe and ISO files for Windows, Linux, and Mac. Linux and Mac users need a USB pen drive to install Plextor SSD Firmware update manually.
Steps to upgrade Plextor SSD firmware in Windows PC
- Go to this page and download the firmware (EXE for Windows) for your Plextor SSD drive
- Double-click to begin the installation
- After install, restart the system to finish of Plextor SSD firmware update
In to update Plextor SSD Firmware in Mac and Linux, download the ISO file of the firmware and follow these steps
- Run the Unetbootin tool and connect a USB pen drive.
- Select ‘Try Unlisted Linux ISO’ from the dropdown in Step 1:
- In Step 2: Click Browse and choose the downloaded Plextor SSD firmware ISO.
- Select the USB drive letter in Step 3:
- And finally, click ‘Create.’
- In a few moments, the bootable SSD firmware updater USB drive will be prepared.
- Restart PC and choose USB drive a boot drive from the boot option.
- Proceed with the firmware update.
6. Lexar SSD Firmware
Lexar provides the Lexar SSD Dash tool that you can install on your Windows PC. The interface is neat and lets you quickly view essential SSD parameters. To update Lexar SSD firmware, follow the steps mention below.
Steps to upgrade Lexar SSD firmware in Windows PC:
- Click ‘Firmware Update’ and from the drop-down, choose the Lexar SSD drive.
- Read the Warning message before proceeding further.
- Download the suggested firmware update for your Lexar SSD.
- Click ‘Select’ to browse the downloaded firmware package and then, click ‘Update.’
7. HGST SSD Firmware
We didn’t find any official documentation on the HGST SSD firmware update. However, during our research, we did find a forum where a forum member ‘Vahan’ has shared a process to update the HGST firmware. It is a complex process. Here’s the link to the forum.
You can ask for support directly on the forum related to the HGST SSD firmware update tool and process.
8. PNY SSD Firmware
PNY also provides a PNY Get Info SSD management and firmware updater tool. The tool helps you update the PNY SSD firmware in just a few seconds. PNY regularly releases the firmware for its internal and portable SSD drives.
Steps to upgrade PNY SSD firmware in Windows PC:
- Go to this link, and choose your language below the listed internal and portable SSD to go to the firmware download page.
- Download the firmware for your SSD from the page and extract it. The extracted folder contains a program file with .exe extension and the SSD firmware with .FFP extension.
- Double click the .exe program file named something similar to ‘PNY_Windows_Field_Updater…’
- Select the PNY SSD from the list and click ‘Update Firmware.’
- Browse and select the PNY firmware package (.FFP file).
- Read and Accept the warning and proceed with the installation.
- Restart the system after the firmware update is done. Open the PNY SSD firmware updater. tool to see a green check, which confirms the update.
9. Crucial SSD Firmware
Updating Crucial SSD firmware is a bit different from its competitors such as Samsung, WD, etc. To update Crucial SSD firmware, you need to download the firmware ISO from their site and use Unetbootin or a similar tool to create a firmware updater USB bootable drive.
UPDATE: Crucial released the Crucial Storage Executive Tool for SSD management. Crucial SSD users Users can now install and use this tool to check and update the SSD firmware to the latest version.
To update Crucial SSD firmware, you need the following things:
- An external USB drive.
- Firmware update. Download from here.
- Unetbootin or Rufus app for Windows.
Steps to update Crucial SSD firmware in Windows PC:
- Run Unetbootin software.
- Choose ‘Try Unlisted Linux ISO (New Syslinux).’
- Click Browse and choose the Crucial firmware ISO.
- Select the USB drive from the option. Make sure there is no data in the USB thumb drive. Backup files, if any.
- Click Create.
- Now restart the PC and press the boot option key, usually F12, to enter boot options.
- Select USB drive to boot and follow the instructions/update wizard to update the Crucial SSD firmware.
10. SK Hynix SSD Firmware
Download the SK Hynix Solid State Drive Firmware Update tool from this link. This tool works for SK Hynix SC210 family of Solid State Drives.
Steps to upgrade SK Hynix SSD firmware in Windows PC:
- Go to SK Hynix Support page and download the Firmware Update tool.
- Run the software.
- If the SD is not listed, click ‘Rescan.’
- Select the SSD drive and click ‘FW Update.’
- Follow the wizard and update the SK Hynix SSD firmware.
- After the update, the system may restart.
11. Intel SSD Firmware
The tool can upgrade SSD firmware of all Intel SSDs except Intel SSD 510 and the original X-series models, which can be updated with this tool.
Steps to upgrade Intel SSD firmware in Windows PC:
- Download the Intel SSD Toolbox.
- Click Firmware Update. The toolbox will detect and find the firmware update, if available.
- Select the SSD and click Update. A warning message will appear. Please backup before proceeding.
- Click ‘Run.’
- In a few seconds, the Intel SSD firmware will be updated to the latest available firmware.
- Restart the PC or laptop after the update is finished (very important).
12. ADATA SSD Firmware
Similar to Samsung and Intel, ADATA also provides an SSD Toolbox, which works with ADATA SSDs. To update the ADATA M.2, mSATA, and SATA SSD firmware, download the ADATA SSD Toolbox and follow the instructions given below.
Steps to upgrade ADATA SSD firmware in Windows PC:
- Go to Utilities.
- Select the ADATA drive and Click Firmware Update.
- It will open a webpage. Download the latest firmware version available for your SSD.
- Download the firmware, extract, and then install it.
- Restart PC after the firmware update is finished.
13. Toshiba SSD Firmware
Toshiba provides different SSD firmware update utility to update the firmware. They also offer SSD Management Software that helps maintain, monitor and optimize OCZ SSDs.
Compatible Toshiba SSD Drives: ARC 100, RC100, RD400/400A, RevoDrive 350, TL100, Trion 100/150, TR150, TR200, Vector, Vector 150/180, Vertex 450/460/460A, VT180, VX500, Deneva 2, Saber 1000, Intrepid 3600/3700/3800, Z-Drive 4500, Z-Drive 6000/6300, ZD6000/63000
Steps to upgrade Toshiba SSD firmware in Windows PC:
Then launch the Toshiba SSD firmware update utility and follow the instructions to update the firmware to latest available version.
14. Seagate SSD Firmware
Steps to upgrade Seagate SSD firmware in Windows PC:
- Download Seagate Drive Detect tool and launch it
- Select the Seagate SSD drive from the list and click ‘Find Firmware’
- Follow the wizard to update the Seagate SSD.
- If the firmware is not available, go to the Download Finder page and enter your Seagate SSD serial number
- You can find the SSD serial number using the Seagate Drive Detect tool or from Device Manager
- Accept the terms of service (EULA) and click ‘Submit Query’. Download if firmware update, if available and install it
15. WD SSD Firmware
The Western Digital (WD) provides SSD Dashboard which helps users upgrade their WD SSD firmware in just a few clicks. The tool has a user-friendly graphical interface, which makes firmware installation seamless and secure.
Steps to upgrade Western Digital (WD) SSD firmware in Windows PC:
- Download the Western Digital SSD Dashboard to your hard drive
- Install the WD SSD Dashboard and then launch the software
- Go to Tools and click ‘Firmware Update’. If new firmware is available, the software will show you the firmware details
- Click Update SSD Firmware to initiate a firmware update. A confirmation dialog box appears. Read it and click Proceed
- After the firmware is downloaded to the SSD, a prompt will appears asking to shut down the system. Before clicking ‘Shutdown Now’, close all programs and save any running task
- This will install and finish the WD SSD firmware upgrade
You may also use a bootable USB drive to upgrade WD SSD installed in a Linux PC or Mac.
- Connect a formatted USB drive. If the USB drive is not automatically detected, click the refresh icon next to the “No USB Drive Found” drop-down
- Click the drop-down list to select the USB drive.
- Click Create USB Drive
- Restart the computer and choose USB drive as a bootable drive to install the SSD firmware
To update WD My Passport Wireless SSD, visit this page and choose the WD My Passport from list. Download the firmware and install
16. Kingston SSD Firmware
Kingston also provided the SSD Manager app for Windows that lets you update any Kingston SSD firmware without hiccups. The UI, although, isn’t impressive but it works just fine.
Steps to upgrade Kingston SSD firmware in Windows PC:
- Download and install the Kingston SSD Manager program
- Launch the Kingston SSD Manager and click on Firmware tab
- If there is a firmware update available for your Kingston® SSD, the software will display the update details.
- Click on the Firmware Update button to begin the update
- Once the firmware update process completes, shut down your system and leave it powered off for 10 seconds before powering back on again
17. OWC SSD Firmware
UPDATE: OWC now offers an SSD firmware update tool (BETA version), which you can download from here. You may now update the OWC SSD firmware much easily and faster with this utility.
Otherwise, you can follow the method discussed below to update OWC SSD firmware.
Steps to upgrade OWC SSD firmware in Windows PC:
- Back up data to an alternate drive. OWC has updated several drives without data loss, however, we strongly recommended backing up all data on the SSD before performing this update
- Connect SSD to a native internal SATA port
- Boot into Windows XP/Vista/7/8/8.1 or 10
- All applications should be closed prior to updating the firmware
- Launch the OWC Mercury SSD firmware updater application. Upon launch, the Update Tool will automatically scan for connected drives. All discovered drives will be displayed in the drive list with a checkbox. Select the checkbox of the drive you would like to update. Only one drive can be updated/selected at a time
- Once the target drive has been selected click the open button (…) and select the MP-6.0.3.ffp file located in the OWC Mercury 6G SSD Firmware Updater folder
- Initiate the update by clicking “Update Firmware” A pop-up window will be displayed suggesting a back-up of data and reminding that the computer will be restarted after the update. Click “OK” if ready or “Cancel” to stop the update
- After your computer restarts, open the OWC Mercury 6G SSD firmware updater application and verify that your Firmware Rev shows 603ABBF0
- Back up data to an alternate drive. This update is non-destructive for any SSD already containing an NTFS or FAT32 Partition (Bootcamp automatically does this). OWC has updated several drives without data loss, however, we strongly recommended backing up all data on the SSD before performing this update.
- Connect SSD to a native internal SATA port.
- Boot into Windows XP/Vista/7/8/8.1 or 10
- All applications should be closed prior to updating the firmware.
- Launch the ssdupdate.exe application. Upon launch, the Update Tool will automatically scan for connected drives. All discovered drives would be displayed in the drive list with a checkbox. Select the checkbox of the drive you would like to update. Only one drive can be updated/selected at a time.
- Once the target drive has been selected click the open button (…) and select the MP-6.0.3.ffp file located in the OWC SSD Firmware Update Tool folder.
- Initiate the download by clicking “Download Firmware to Selected Drive.” A pop-up window will be displayed suggesting back up of data and reminding that the computer will be restarted after the update. Click “OK” if ready or “Cancel” to stop the update.
- After your computer restarts, open the ssdupdate.exe application and verify that your Firmware Rev shows 603ABBF0.
18. SanDisk SSD Firmware
Steps to upgrade Transcend SSD firmware in Windows PC:
19. OCZ SSD Firmware
The good thing about OCZ SSD is that Toshiba acquired OCZ. And now the company regularly releases new firmware for their SSDs.
Steps to upgrade OCZ SSD firmware in Windows, macOS or Linux PC
- Download the OCZ SSD Utility
- Launch the program after installation
- Under ‘Updates‘ section, Click ‘Update‘ to update the OCZ SSD firmware.
More SSD firmware tools will be added and updated regularly.