MacOS Mojave is indeed updated with amazing features such as Dark Mode, better security with new Safari, and APFS support for Fusion drives. And here’s the much-awaited comprehensive guide on macOS Mojave 10.14 installation for Windows PC and laptops. This extensive macOS 10.14 Mojave installation guide will help you safely install the macOS Mojave on your Windows PC. If you are new to Hackintosh family or want to be a part of Hackintosh family, welcome and good luck!
With that said, let us proceed to macOS Mojave installation steps.
Installing macOS Mojave on Windows PC (Fresh Installation)
Things You Need
- A MacBook, iMac or a Hackintosh
- An 8GB USB 3.0 flash drive (Make sure it’s empty)
- macOS Mojave Installer (Download from App Store)
- Clover Configurator app
Step 1: Prepare macOS Mojave Installer
- After downloading Mojave Installer from App Store, connect your USB Flash drive and Open Disk Utility
- Select the USB drive and click ‘Erase‘
- Enter the volume name (whatever you wish to for e.g. MojaveInstaller) and from the options, choose macOS Journaled, GUID partition scheme. Alternatively, you can use Terminal to format your USB drive
- Click ‘Erase’
- Open Terminal app and type following command
sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Mojave.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MojaveInstaller
- Replace /MojaveInstaller with the name of your USB drive you gave while erasing it using Disk Utility
- Wait for the process to finish. After it’s done, open Clover Configurator app
- Click Mount EFI in your USB drive
- Download and Extract this EFI folder on the desktop and then paste it into the mounted EFI partition of your USB installer
- The EFI is compatible with Kaby Lake and Coffee Lake i5 & i7 processors. Although you need to change the Processor ID. Others can download the EFI folder and use this guide to configure the EFI folder specifically for their machine’s hardware
- Once you are done with EFI partition, shut down the system
Step 2: Setting up the BIOS for macOS Installation
- Turn on your system and continuously press the F2 key or Fn+F2 key to enter the BIOS. You can refer to your motherboard or system manufacturer for the right key to enter BIOS
- Inside BIOS, make following changes (leave if a setting is not available in BIOS)
- Load BIOS Defaults
- Turn OFF secure boot
- Disable VT-D
- Disable CFG-Lock
- Select Other OS in OS Type
- Disable IO SerialPort
- Enable XHCI Handoff
- Save and exit.
- Save the Settings and restart the system. As soon as the system starts to boot, start pressing boot options key, usually F12, (refer to your manufacturer’s website for right key)
- You will be presented with a few boot options and one of them will be your USB flash drive containing the macOS Mojave installer
- Use arrow keys to move selection on USB installer and press the ‘Enter’ key to boot clover
- On the Clover Screen, choose ‘Boot macOS Install from install macOS Mojave’ and press ‘Enter’
- Let the installer boot completely. In case your system reboots, try booting macOS installer in verbose mode to detect the error. Take a picture using your smartphone camera and send it to me via Facebook or Twitter DM. I will try providing you the right solution to fix the error.
NOTE: Keep in mind, hacking macOS for your PC or laptop is a challenging and frustrating task. You can’t succeed in a single attempt and thus, you need to devote your time and energy if you really want to install macOS Mojave or High Sierra on your PC
- Now open the Disk Utility and format the drive with APFS or HFS format where you want to install macOS Mojave
- Close the Disk Utility and click ‘Install macOS’
- Agree to the terms and conditions and select the drive that you just formatted (where you wish to install macOS) and click ‘Install‘
NOTE: APFS is buggy in Hackintosh. So in case, you wish to install macOS Mojave without APFS conversion, read the post Install macOS without APFS conversion
Step 3: Completing the macOS Mojave Installation
- After the first phase of installation, when the system reboots, again press the boot options key, i.e. F2 usually, to select your USB containing macOS Installer as the boot drive
- When the clover boots, use arrow key and this time choose ‘Boot macOS from YourDriveName’
- The installation process will continue. This takes time so sit back and relax. In case of error, report us via comments down below
- During the installation, your system may reboot a few times to finish the install. Select the same drive from clover bootloader screen to continue the installation
- After installation is successful, the system reboots
- Boot into clover again and from the clover screen, choose the drive where macOS Mojave is installed
- Press ‘Enter‘ and let it finish boot. Since it’s first boot, it may take a while
When it finishes booting, you are welcomed to the setup wizard screen where you need to select region, language, connect WLAN (if available) and complete the setup by agreeing on terms and conditions and providing a username & password.
That’s it, at this stage, you have successfully installed the macOS Mojave on your Windows PC. For post-installation steps and fixes, subscribe to our newsletter and reach out to us via comments down below. You can also send us DMs on Twitter and Facebook for support.
Upgrading High Sierra to macOS Mojave (Hackintosh)
I don’t recommend upgrading macOS High Sierra to Mojave unless you have a Carbon Copy of your current macOS High Sierra installation as it will help you restore your Hackintosh in case something goes wrong.
If you still want to take the risk, go ahead, and download the installer.
- After download, the installer opens the setup where you need to accept the agreement
- Then select the drive with current macOS installation that you want to upgrade. Then click ‘Install’ and enter the password to confirm
- The setup will prepare your system for Mojave installation and then click ‘Restart‘
- When the system reboots, choose the USB drive that contains macOS Mojave compatible EFI folder
Use EFI/Clover compatible with macOS Mojave. You can visit this blog post to know how to configure Clover for your system hardware.
- Choose Boot macOS Install from install macOS Mojave and continue with the installation
Additionally, if you own a system with Kaby Lake or Coffe Lake processor, use the EFI/Clover folder I have provided
- Your system will reboot a few times so don’t worry, just keep selecting same drive again and again until installation is finished. If it reboots more than 5 times and you are stuck at the installation/upgradation, report us with the screenshot after booting in Verbose.
So that’s how you install macOS Mojave and upgrade to the latest macOS 10.14 update. Let us know if you were successful in installing the macOS Mojave on your system using our guide. We will upload a video guide soon demonstrating the macOS Installation and Upgradation process. So stay tuned and subscribe to our YouTube channel to get instant updates whenever we upload an interesting tutorial.