Resetting Windows password is one of the easiest jobs that let you access your Windows 7, 8, or 10 PC or Laptop when you forget your login password. However, it’s equally scary to know that anyone with a little to no computer knowledge can easily get into your Windows-powered laptop or PC. So in this post, I will discuss two different, yet somewhat similar, ways with which you or anyone else can access a Windows PC by resetting the Windows Administrator or user password.
Before we begin,
This guide is for educational purposes only. My motto is to make you aware of the threats that can be used to access your personal information. Learn how it’s done and then take appropriate actions to protect your Windows PC or Laptop by following the solution I have mentioned in this guide at the end.
1. Using Linux Live CD/USB (Easiest Way)
I don’t need to write much about it because the video below explains everything. Any person with a Linux bootable drive (USB/CD) can easily get into your PC, copy the necessary files, and make your Windows account inaccessible (since password will be changed).
In the following video, I have talked about ‘How you can reset windows password‘ and ‘how anyone can then access someone’s PC within a few minutes’. I have also mentioned the best way to protect your system from this hack. If you follow the solution, it will help you protect your system from all other possible hacks that can reset your Windows password.
2. Using Windows System Repair Disc or Installation Media (USB/DVD)
This method, interestingly, works similar to the Linux based method but is a bit slower and is done with the help of command prompt. All you need is a Windows installation media that you can easily create by downloading Windows ISO or using a Windows installation DVD. All you need to do is, follow these steps for Windows 7:
- Plug in the Windows bootable USB media or insert the Windows installation DVD
- Turn on the system and immediately start pressing the boot menu option key, usually F12, when PC boots
- Choose the USB media or DVD from the menu and press Énter key to boot
- Click ‘Repair your computer’ link
- Follow the wizard until you reach to this screen
- Click on Command Prompt and the type the following commands:
copy c:\windows\system32\sethc.exe c:\ copy c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe c:\windows\system32\sethc.exe
Hit Enter key after pasting each command.
- Finally, restart the system. On the login screen, press Shift key 5 times to open the command prompt
- Displays all the user accounts on the PC. Find the admin or user account name and then type
net user AdminAccountName NEWPASSWORD
- Replace NEWPASSWORD with any password you want and hit enter. Close Command Prompt and use the password you entered in the cmd command to log in to the system’s user or admin account. As simple as that.
How to Protect Your Windows from Such Hacks?
It’s easy. Just setup BIOS or UEFI password on your laptop or PC. This acts as the first line of defense and is one of the most efficient ways of keeping your system and data safe. But please don’t forget this password or else you will too lose the access to your system. BIOS password can be reset easily on PC but is a bit difficult to do it on a laptop. So use a simple password that you can remember and others can’t guess.
I hope this guide helps you safeguard your Windows PC and Laptop from such security threats. If you find this guide useful, subscribe to our YouTube channel and newsletter. Also, follow us on Facebook and Twitter for instant updates on new posts and guides.