Most of us are very familiar with USB or WiFi tethering , as a method of sharing the Internet connection from an android phone with other devices . But fairly a very few of us are familiar with the opposite process , Reverse tethering .
Reverse tethering is possible . Using reverse tethering you can share your Computer’s internet connection with your Android phone through an USB data cable . which is in fact a very useful feature in case you don’t have WiFi router to share your PC’s internet connection . Continue reading to find out how you can use reverse tethering to share your Computer’s internet connection with your android phone .
What do you need ?
In order to be able to perform reverse tethering you will need a Rooted android phone , which is a also a major reason why reverse tethering is not much popular among android new users. If you have a rooted android phone , you can proceed further with this guide and download the following prerequisites required further in this guide .
- Drivers for your Android phone
- Android Reverse Tethering tool
Android Reverse Tethering tool is an free windows utility which makes use of ADB ( Android debug bridge ) to share your Computer’s internet connection with your android phone over an USB data cable . You can download it from this link , or visit the link provided above for the latest version of the utility .
How to share your PC’s internet connection with your Android phone over USB
- Step 1: Connect your Android phone with your PC using an USB data cable and ensure that USB debugging is enabled on your phone . ( Settings > Applications > Development > USB Debugging > Turn On )
- Step 2: Extract the downloaded zip file and run the AndroidTool.exe file .
- Step 3: From the Android reverse tethering utility , select your phone from the “ Select a device “ drop down box and then from the “ Select DNS to use “ dropdown box , select a DNS ( Choose anything apart from 192.168.1.1 ) .
- Step 4: Click on the Connect button to start the reverse tethering process . The utility will then connect with your android phone and install the required apps on your phone . If the utility crashes simply run it over again .
- Step 5: After the required apps have been installed on your phone , You will be prompted to grant root access to the USB tunnel app . Tap on “Grant” to provide root access to the app and you can access your Computer’s internet connection on your phone .
PLEASE NOTE : This work only for rooted users and for Windows !!!
Thats it and now you will be able to access your Computer’s internet on your Android phone and even all your android apps would be able to access it too . You might be prompted with an No network connection error in intervals , its nothing to worry about and you can click ok to proceed further .
Via / XDA-Developers