Installing macOS Catalina on a Virtual Machine is quite easy if you know the right way to do it. Unlike Windows and Linux OS, macOS Catalina installation on Virtual Machine such as VirtualBox requires some additional steps.
In this guide, we have discussed the steps to install macOS Catalina 10.15 on VirtualBox. Follow these steps carefully.
Pre-Requisites to Install macOS on VirtualBox
- 64-bit Windows PC
- Core i5 Processor
- 8 GB RAM
- At least 40 GB Hard Drive/SSD Storage Space
- macOS High Sierra
- VirtualBox Installed on PC
Steps to Install macOS Catalina on VirtualBox
- First, download and install the VirtualBox on your Windows PC
- Open ‘VirtualBox‘ and click ‘New‘
- Choose ‘Mac OS X‘ and macOS 10.13 High Sierra (64-bit)
- Click ‘Next‘ and allocate the RAM using the slider
- Click ‘Next‘ and select ‘Create a virtual hard disk now’
- Select VDI and click ‘Next‘ and then again ‘Next‘
- Use the slider to allocated virtual disk size, at least 40GB
- Click ‘Create‘ and wait for it to finish
- Then open the command prompt with admin access and type,
cd C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\
- Then enter following commands in the command prompt windows, one by one followed by the ‘Enter‘ keypress. Replace ‘Your Virtual Machine Name’ with the macOS machine name you give at the beginning
- You may copy/paste all the commands at once in the command prompt window and click ‘Enter‘
VBoxManage.exe modifyvm "Your Virtual Machine Name" --cpuidset 00000001 000106e5 00100800 0098e3fd bfebfbff VBoxManage setextradata "Your Virtual Machine Name" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemProduct" "iMac11,3" VBoxManage setextradata "Your Virtual Machine Name" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemVersion" "1.0" VBoxManage setextradata "Your Virtual Machine Name" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiBoardProduct" "Iloveapple" VBoxManage setextradata "Your Virtual Machine Name" "VBoxInternal/Devices/smc/0/Config/DeviceKey" "ourhardworkbythesewordsguardedpleasedontsteal(c)AppleComputerInc" VBoxManage setextradata "Your Virtual Machine Name" "VBoxInternal/Devices/smc/0/Config/GetKeyFromRealSMC" 1
- Select your macOS machine from the left pane and click ‘Start’
- Click on the arrow icon and then click ‘Add’
- Browse and choose the macOS ISO you downloaded and click ‘Open’
- Click ‘Choose’
- Then click ‘Start’ to boot macOS virtual machine installation
- After boot, choose Language and click next arrow
- After boot, click Utilities>Terminal and type following commands, one at a time followed by ‘Enter‘ keypress
date 101200002016 diskutil eraseDisk JHFS+ myDisk /dev/disk0
- Now click Terminal and choose ‘Quit Terminal‘
- Click Install macOS and follow the wizard to begin the installation
- Once installed, restart the system and setup macOS
An Alternative Method to Run macOS Catalina on VirtualBox in Windows PC
- Download macOS Catalina VirtualBox file http://www.mediafire.com/file/hrl9ymq1mz4rlxw/Catalina_Virtual_Disk_Image_by_Intoguide.rar/file
- Extract the macOS Catalina image
- Now open VirtualBox and click File>Open and choose the VMDK file
- Enjoy macOS Catalina on your Windows PC
Share, subscribe for more.
Want to install macOS on an actual machine, i.e. PC or Laptop? Follow these macOS on Windows PC Installation guides.
An Avid learner, a Tech Enthusiast and the founder of TechPosts Guides, Ravi is a Raspberry Pi fan and an open-source lover. He spends most of his weekends working with IoT devices and playing games on the Xbox. He is also a solo-traveler who loves hiking and exploring new trails.
Follow him on .Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube.