Today we are going to install MacOS Mojave on our Dell 7000 series laptop powered by 7th gen Kaby lake processor. This guide is going to work for all laptops and PC running on either Skylake, Kaby lake, coffee lake and Canon Lake i5 and i7 processors. By the way, if you want to install HighSierraa, click here.
- CPU: Intel Core i7 7500U
- RAM: 8GB DDR4 x 2
- IGPU: Intel HD Graphics 620
- DGPU: NVIDIA GeForce 940MX
- SSD: Sandisk X400 128GB M.2 SATA
- HDD: Seagate ST1000LM035
- Audio: Realtek ALC256
- Display: 15.6″ AH-IPS (1920×1080) (Made by LG)
- Wireless/Bluetooth: Broadcom BCM94352Z
- Ethernet: Realtek RTL8111
- Camera: NEC Camera (unknown model)
- Ports: 2 x USB 3.0 | 1 x USB 2.0 | 1 x HDMI | 1 x SD Card slot | 1 x 3.5mm audio combo jack
Dell 7560 and 7460 are identical except the Processor. So if you own any, you will be able to install Mojave on your laptop without any extra efforts. I have upgraded my Dell 7560 with the following hardware:
- An M.2 Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD (for macOS)
- A 500GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD (for Windows)
- 8 GB Crucial Ballistix RAM (Total 16GB RAM)
- M.2 Broadcom DW1560 (BCM94352Z) NGFF WiFi+Bluetooth Card (Replaced Intel 3160 WiFi+Bluetooth card)
Things that are Working:
- Dual boot macOS Mojave with Win10 (both on separate SSDs as mentioned earlier)
- WIFI & Bluetooth (using DW1560)
- Full QE/CI for Intel HD620 (940MX is not supported and hence, stays disabled) – Displays as Intel Iris with 3GB VRAM
- SATA Info
- Battery info
- Brightness and Volume control with default keys same as in Windows
- HDMI video and Audio output
- Audio works with speaker/HDMI/3.5mm jack (Jack need fix with ALC256PlugFix)
- Internal Microphone
- Keyboard, Trackpad (not visible in settings but gestures are working fine)/USB mouse
- CPU Power Management
- Heat sink fan (currently no issues of overheating)
Steps to Install macOS Mojave on Dell Laptops without Mac
- We don’t need a Macbook or Mac system to create a Mojave installer. On your Windows PC or Laptop, download the program Etcher.
- Then download the macOS Mojave 10.14 Installer with CLover DMG file using the following links (simply copy and paste them in the address bar to begin download):
macOS Mojave 10.14(18A389).dmg https://mirrors.dtops.cc/iso/MacOS/daliansky_macos/macOS%20Mojave%2010.14%2818A389%29%20Installer%20with%20Clover%204670.dmg macOS Mojave 10.14(18A391).dmg https://mirrors.dtops.cc/iso/MacOS/daliansky_macos/macOS%20Mojave%2010.14%2818A391%29%20Installer%20with%20Clover%204674.dmg macOS Mojave 10.14.1(18B75).dmg https://mirrors.dtops.cc/iso/MacOS/daliansky_macos/macOS%20Mojave%2010.14.1%2818B75%29%20Installer%20with%20Clover%204726.dmg macOS Mojave 10.14.2(18C54).dmg https://mirrors.dtops.cc/iso/MacOS/daliansky_macos/macOS%20Mojave%2010.14.2%2818C54%29%20Installer%20with%20Clover%204792.dmg macOS Mojave 10.14.3(18D42).dmg https://mirrors.dtops.cc/iso/MacOS/daliansky_macos/macOS%20Mojave%2010.14.3%2818D42%29%20Installer%20with%20Clover%204859.dmg
Each Mojave DMG is around 6GB in size.
- Once downloaded, go ahead, connect a USB 3.0 Flash drive size must be at least 8gb.
- After connecting the drive, open Etcher app you downloaded earlier
- Click Select Image and browse to choose the Mojave DMG file you downloaded
- Confirm the USB drive. Click Change to select the right USB storage media
- Click ‘Flash‘ and wait for the process to complete
- Download the EFI folder
- Open File Explorer and go to EFI partition
- Extract and paste the EFI folder in the partition.
NOTE: If EFI partition is not visible, go to MINI Tool Partition wizard tool and assign a drive letter to the EFI Partition and then run the Explorer++ app to access the EFI partition and paste the EFI folder.
That’s it. Once you have prepared the installer with EFI, go ahead and connect the USB installer to the laptop where you wish to install macOS Mojave 10.14.
- Turn on PC and start pressing the F2 key to enter BIOS settings. You can check the right key to enter BIOS via your manufacturers’ website or documentation
Once you in BIOS
- Disable Powershare
- Secure Boot
- Disable Virtualization and VT-D
- Save settings and exit.
- As soon as system restarts, start pressing boot options key usually F12. Again check your laptop manufacturer for the right key combination
- Choose the USB that contains Mojave Installer and press Enter
- On clover screen, make sure you have selected Install macOS from macOS Mojave installer
And press Enter
- Let it load the installer. A few flashes might occur but that’s totally fine.
- Now click Disk utility and choose the drive where you wish to install macOS.
- Now please note, we need to format entire drive, not the volume but entire hard drive or SSD whatever you use. So make sure the drive does not contain any data or Windows installation
- If that’s the case, abort installation and go back. Create a backup using system Image and then come back to the installation. You can run macOS with windows but first, you need to install macOS. So be careful.
Since our laptop has dual storage, I use 850 Evo 500Gb SSD for Windows and the other M.2 SSD for macOS
- So I will choose the M.2 SSD and click Erase
Enter the name and choose APFS. If you don’t want to use APFS and wish to install Mojave on HFS+ partition, follow this guide Install macOS without APFS Conversion on PC
- Click Erase. That’s it. Close the utility once erasure is done.
- Now agree to terms and choose the drive that we just erased and click Install
- Let it install the files. Once done it will reboot and again, you need to enter boot options and choose the USB drive containing Mojave Installer. Press Enter
Let it boot automatically. It will automatically resume installation
- Let it install. Once finished, it will restart. Once again you need to choose the USB installer via the boot option menu
- Let it boot automatically.
- Setup your macOs Mojave and finally choose Whether you like to have Light Mode or Dark mode.
You will have working audio, Mic so that you can talk to Siri and ask silly questions if you wish to and by the way, Siri understands most accents very well.
- Trackpad gestures are working, Bluetooth WiFi working fine
- Volume keys also work
- Brightness keys can be fixed by making changes to config.plist and it’s easy you can head to the guide for fixing Brightness control keys.
- Other than that graphics acceleration is fine shows Intel iris 3gB for some reason but works fine.
- Most importantly, HDMI output with audio is working. So that’s something not every Hackintosh accomplishes. We did it.
More will follow through and you can always reach out to me via comments if you face any issue while installation. Just mention hardware details before asking anything. That will help me to help you better and save time.
You can also install Mojave on an external drive like this or external M.2 SSD enclosed in a USB Type C enclosure.
Please subscribe, just hit that red button below the video that says subscribe, if you haven’t already and share this post and video guide.