Google Chrome is one of the most popular and used web browser available in the market. A survey says that 25%-30% people around the world are browsing the web via Google Chrome. But there is a no denying the fact that Chrome Browser is a RAM killer. When you open multiple tabs and start browsing multiple sites on you PC via Chrome you realise that Chrome is a real PC killer. Slow web browsing is very irritating and becomes a real headache for most of us. If your data connection is fast enough then it could be your browser that is the cause behind slow web browsing. We searched the web for something that could save us from the wrath of Chrome browser. Fortunately, to solve this issue, we will show you some useful tips and tricks which will boost your internet browser and can make your Google Chrome faster.
If you are a normal user, then Chrome don’t need any tweaks but if you are a power user, you can tweak and play few experimental options of Chrome that can significantly make Google Chrome faster & improve the performance. Below we are going to discuss 4 different methods & tweaks to make Google Chrome faster. So let’s start with this HowTo Guide,
Method 1: Using flags setting:
Google Chrome browser has lots of hidden browser features and options and one of them is known as “flags” which is used for testing purposes and can improve Google Chrome performance. Be cautious that these features are experimental and hence they may change, disappear or break anytime.
- Step 1. To access “flags”, open your chrome browser and type “chrome://flags” in the address bar and hit enter.
As soon as you do that Google Chrome will show you the following warning message:
These experimental features may change, break, or disappear at any time. We make absolutely no guarantees about what may happen if you turn one of these experiments on, and your browser may even spontaneously combust. Jokes aside, your browser may delete all your data, or your security and privacy could be compromised in unexpected ways. Any experiments you enable will be enabled for all users of this browser. Please proceed with caution.
Take a look at the “flags” settings in Google Chrome to make it faster than ever: (Click to enlarge the images)
But you don’t have to worry about it as the steps we are going to mention ahead are safe and you can tweak Google Chrome browser to increase its performance. In case, if you notice any glitches, you can always revert back the changes with the same simple steps mentioned ahead.
- Step 2. look for “Maximum tiles for interest area” and select 512 from the drop down menu. What this does is that it actually increases the RAM that Chrome is allowed to use and thus makes your Google Chrome a lot faster.
Use Ctrl+F in Windows and Cmd+F in Mac search and locate items in the flags menu as the items in flags are not much organized.
- Step 3. Search for Number of Raster threads and set it to 4. This small modification increase rendering speed of images in Chrome and improves the Google Chrome performance.
- Step 4. Find Enable fast tab/window close and set it to Enable. Enable this change if you want to close any window or tab faster.
- Step 5. To make Google Chrome faster on touch screens computer, search for Touch Events and Enable it. This will increase your Google Chrome speed drastically.
Method 2: Using Chrome Speed up extensions to make Google Chrome more faster:
Well, i don’t use extensions much as these extensions also hinders the speed of browser. But, there is a useful extension that is like and use personally which can help you to speed up your Google Chrome dramatically and its called The Great Suspender.
- The Great Suspender: This extension suspends the unused tabs in Chrome, saves your PC RAM and makes Google Chrome faster. You can download it and install it from here
Method 3: Using Google’s prefetching Web pages to make Site load faster:
While browsing, Chrome predicts the links you might click and it prepares them to load instantly for you, this is called prefectching or pre-rendering of Web pages.
How to turn on these network action predictions:
On you PC:
- Click on the hamburger
- Go to Settings and then click on Show advanced settings.
- Now in the privacy section check Prefetch resources to load pages more quickly.
Similarly, On your Android device:
- Tap on the three dots of top right corner to open Chrome menu and open Settings.
- Under Advanced, find Privacy and open it.
- Now look for the option Prefetch page resources.
Tip: You can access the Google chrome settings by typing chrome://settings in browser’s address bar
You’ll see the following options, you can choose the desired one to make your Google Chrome faster:
- Always: Chrome will always preload webpages even when you’re using mobile data. This way, you may end up using a large chunk of mobile data.
- Only on Wi-Fi: Chrome will only preload webpages on Wi-Fi network. This is the default option.
- Never: If you are using a very limited data plan, select this to stop Google Chrome from preloading the web pages.
Method 4: All other minor tweaks to make Google Chrome faster:
1. Disable the unnecessary plugins as they make your Google Chrome slower. Type chrome://plugins/ in URL box to see active plugins.
2. Delete all unnecessary extensions that not in use for long time. To access extensions, Type chrome://extensions/ in URL box and hit Enter.
3. Clear all browsing history from beginning (Uncheck Cached images and files and other below options). Type chrome://settings/clearBrowserData to clean Chrome Browser. (See Screenshot)
That’s it in the post! These are some of the best methods which can help you with increasing your web browsing speed and make Google chrome faster than ever.
If you find this article helpful, share it with friends and if you are still having any problems, please comment and subscribe to our newsletter below to get Tech Updates, stories and such HowTo Guides directly in your inbox directly. Also, please share any other better solutions if you know. Have a good day!! 🙂