A specially customized version of Android runs on Amazon’s FireTV which can handle almost any Android application. Though you will find most of your favorite apps on Amazon Appstore, you wouldn’t find some third-party applications. All you need in that situation is to install the APK files on your Firestick or FireTV.
Though you might install a third-party application on your FireTV, the application might not run smoothly or run at all. This might be due to compatibility issues. For example, an app that is compatible with a touch screen device will not work with a remote.
You might still want to try your luck with these applications. Follow this guide to learn how to download and install APK files on Firestick or FireTV..
Install APK Files on Firestick or FireTV From an Android Device
An Android device is a good option to copy applications to a FireTV device with the help of applications such as Apps2Fire, by Koni. You can get it from the Play Store or by clicking here. The apps that are installed on your Android device can be copied and transferred to your Firestick device through Apps2Fire.
Before you can run Apps2Fire, you have to first enable Debugging Mode on your FireTV. Here is how you do that.
Enabling Debugging Mode on FireTV
- Turn on your FireTV.
- Go to Settings.
- Choose My Fire TV.
- Select Developer Options.
- Set the ADB Debugging to ON.
NOTE: To install third-party applications on your FireTV, make sure you set the Apps from Unknown Sources option to ON.
Using Apps2Fire To Install APKs on Firestick
Launch Apps2Fire to initiate the installation procedure. Once done, move to the Setup tab to choose FireTV from the network. Make sure you have switched on your FireTV device so that the Apps2Fire app can scan and find it. If the app still cannot find your device, enter FireTV’s IP address manually inside the app.
To find your Firestick device’s IP address, navigate to Settings > My Fire TV > About > Network on your FireTV. The IP address of the device will be displayed on the right-hand side of the screen.
Once the configuration is complete, you can choose an app from the list of installed apps on your device. Alternatively, you can also select the APK file of an app stored on your device. To do so, tap on the Upload button on the top-right corner of the app and navigate to the /storage/emulated/0/Downloads folder.
After you are done with choosing the app, the installation procedure shall start. How quickly the app installs on your FireTV depends upon your device’s configuration and the Internet speed. Once installed, you can see your app in the ‘Your Apps and Channels’ section on the Home Screen of FireTV.
Install APK Files on Firestick or FireTV From a PC
Another method to install APK files on your Firestick or FireTV is with the help of a PC. The steps might be a bit long but are very easy to understand and implement. Stay with us till the end of this guide to learn this technique. But before that, please ensure that your PC and the FireTV are connected to the same Wi-Fi network for this to work properly.
- Launch Firestick.
- Type ES File Explorer in the search box.
- Select the ES File Explorer File Manager icon on the following screen.
- Click on Download/Get to download this app on your device.
- Once installed, click on Open to launch the app. You will also be able to find this app on the ‘Your Apps and Channels’ section.
- Grant all the permissions to ES File Explorer. This is necessary for the functioning of the app.
- On the main screen, select View On PC.
- A new screen will appear displaying the Wi-Fi network your device is connected to. Click on TURN ON.
- You will now see an FTP address. You will need this very soon.
- Follow these steps on your PC:
- Using any of the web browsers like Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox, download the APK file of the app you wish to install on your Firestick device.
- Open any folder on your computer. On the address bar, paste the FTP address you saw in Step 9 and press Enter.
- You now will see all the folders present on the Firestick device. Open the folder inside which you want to have the APK file present. Copy and paste the APK file here that you downloaded.
- Inside the ES File Explorer app on your Firestick, expand the Local menu on the left-hand side of the screen.
- Choose the Home option (there will be two of them) that does not have a Home icon with it.
- Open the folder where you just pasted the APK file of the app inside the Firestick folders.
- Click on the APK file and install it.
Following the steps above will have installed the application on your Firestick or FireTV device. Installing the third-party applications this way is also known as Sideloading. The above two methods are very common sideloading methods for FireTV, Firestick, and other Android devices. Installing APKs on Firestick and FireTV is very simple and needs no prior experience or knowledge, as you must know by now. You can now go ahead and install your favorite applications on your FireTV device without much of a hassle. You’re welcome!