The Remix OS is based on Android-x86 project that we have been discussing from past 2 years. Now the Android-x86 has merged with Remix OS which not only brings the Android OS to your computer or laptops, but it also has made multi-tasking on Android OS better than it was before. The Android-x86 based installation was complicated and was not made for PC, it was ported. Whereas Remix OS is completely made for true Android experience on a PC. Though, it is not the OS which you can replace your desktop’s current OS with, but carry.
Remix OS brings the lovely Android experience to your computer system. It is based on the Android OS & is completely different from the already existing Emulators. So today in this guide we will show you how to install Remix OS based on Android Lollipop on Any Desktop PC or laptop running Windows.
Installing Remix OS on Windows PC
This project is still in beta version and is intended for all early adopters who wants to experience the latest evolution going on in Android for PC.
- Torrent Downloading Client.
- Remix OS 2.0 and Remix OS USB Installer.
- USB 3.0
- BIOS Should have Legacy Boot Mode Enabled (Or Enable it manually) and Secure boot is disabled.
- 8 GB USB Drive (FAT32 Format)
- Windows PC.
Download Remix OS with Installation Tool:
This link will take you to official download page from where you can download the files using Free Download Manager or any other Torrent Client. Don’t try to download it using the built in download manager in any browser. So if you don’t have torrent client on your PC, Download uTorrent and Install it before downloading this.
For Hard Disk Installation:
- Download the Remix OS for PC package, which contains the Remix OS for PC ROM & Installation Tool from link given above.
- Open the Remix OS Installation Tool and you’ll see it has two fields, in one field you are supposed to add the path of the ISO File of Remix OS on your computer system and second, select the Hard disk partition on which this tool will install the OS.
- Once done, The Remix OS installation tool will begin copying files & writing the Bootloader to the Hard Drive.
- Reboot your PC.
- Select Remix OS in Windows Boot Menu.
Please Note for UEFI boot: press special key (F12 for Dell, F9 for HP, F12 for Lenovo, Option Key for MAC) while booting to enter boot menu and ensure that Secure Boot is disabled.
Remix OS doesn’t come with Google Play Store pre-installed, so if you want to use Google Play store on Remix OS, please see this guide.
Installing Remix OS in USB 3.0 Flash Drive :
- Select “USB Storage Device” under boot option.
- Select either “Guest Mode” or “Resident Mode” to start Remix OS.
- First, download the Remix OS for PC package, which contains the Remix OS for PC ROM & Installation Tool from link above.
- Insert USB flash drive into your PC.
- Open the Remix OS Installation Tool and you’ll see it has two fields, in one field you are supposed to add the path of the ISO File of Remix OS on your computer system and second, select the USB disk on which this tool will install the OS.
- Once done, The Remix OS installation tool will begin copying files & writing the Bootloader to the USB Drive.
- Reboot your PC.
- Press special key (F12 for Dell, F9 for HP, F12 for Lenovo, Option Key for MAC) while booting and enter Boot Menu.
Now that you’ve successfully installed the Android-x86 based Remix OS on your PC, it’s time to play around with the OS. I have tried many apps such as Facebook, Youtube, MX Player, WordPress and Google Drive. Even the shortcuts such as Num Lock, Caps Lock, Number Keypad, ALT + Tab, ALT + F4 works fine on the Remix OS. If you find any problems while installing, please leave us a comment right below and we will try to get back to you with a solution ASAP!
An Avid learner, a Tech Enthusiast and the founder of TechPosts Guides, Ravi is a Raspberry Pi fan and an open-source lover. He spends most of his weekends working with IoT devices and playing games on the Xbox. He is also a solo-traveler who loves hiking and exploring new trails.
Follow him on .Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube.