Whatsapp call feature has arrived for most popular platforms, Android and iOS. Now people can call each other via Whatsapp call feature anywhere in the world for free. But is it really free? Well theoritically, Yes it is free but internet you are using is not. Whatsapp uses data connection or WiFi network connection to make calls. If you’re using mobile data connection, then you know that your data is being used when you make whatsapp calls. Even if we take an example of a coffee shop where WiFi is free to use but probably you are paying for overpriced lattes or cappuccinos that you are sipping.
How much does Whatsapp call really going to cost us?
That is the reason why we’re writing this post. We’re going to calculate how much does a call made from Whatsapp is going to cost us. There are various apps available on google playstore that you can use like Data Monitor. Also, android has now an inbuilt feature that measures and shows how much data has been used by each app on your device.
We used these tools and made few calls to determine how much data is used by Whatsapp when we use call feature. But we’ll not be discussing here how much i’ve been charged for using my data plan for whatsapp call as every data plan is different. But yes, we’ll give you an idea about how much data does it consumes when we make calls. Also we’re going to figure out which calls are economically better – Traditional Calls or Whatsapp Calls.
Well, after testing it using My Nexus 5 device on Vodafone netwtork, we made a call that lasted for around 3 minutes. According to Data Monitor, whatsapp call use aroung one minute call consumed aroung an average of 1.2MB/minute and according to Android System data usage was even low at 1000KB/minute.
Amount of data used to make 1-minute call which is 1000KB or 1MB is definitely not something we would want. There is no way we would be using WhatsApp calling to replace our traditional voice calling at these data rates as it’ll cost us too high. You can calculate the per minute call rate by determining total cost of your 1GB or 2GB data plan. But If you use WhatsApp calling via Wi-Fi connections then there’s no reason of not making use of the service.
How you can measure Whatsapp Call Data Usage ?
- First of all, install an app to measure the data volumes of individual apps like Data Monitor but you can use any.
- Now you need to make a series of test calls. Duration is the something that matters here. Try making calls using you data connection at different places for better testing and results.
- After you finish the call, immediately check your data monitoring app and record the results or go to Android settings (Settings > Data Usage) and open data usage to record how much data wa used and transmitted. That’ll give an average data usage.
- Now once you’ve finished recording figures, add them and get an average per minute.
- Now finally calculate how much each MB of data cost you to determine the cost of making per minute call on Whatsapp Call.
Tell us in the comments below about how much an average minute does cost you? or If you think WhatsApp voice calling is better than traditional calling? Meanwhile, Subscribe us for more Tech News, updates and such How to Tech Guides on Android, iOS, Windows, Mac and Linux or Connect with us to stay updated on Facebook, Google+ and Twitter.
Recommended for You : How to use Whatsapp without any Mobile Number
Get more stuff like this
in your inbox
Enter your Email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notification related to latest Tech updates and New posts directly in your inbox via email.