In this guide i will take you through the entire process of Unlocking the Moto G4 Plus or any other Motorola Android device, installing Custom Recovery and Rooting it. We will be installing TWRP recovery in Moto G4 Plus. Now the process is simple and secure but you can’t be sure. So before you go ahead and start unlocking and rooting MOTO G4 Plus, please be aware that this will void the warranty and you may also land up with a bricked MOTO G4 Plus. Proceed at your own risk.
Please Subscribe and follow this blog or our YouTube channel for more such how to guides and Tech tutorials.
Table of Contents
Unlocking MOTO G4 Plus is easy but we need to first obtain the unlocking code from MOTOROLA website. But before you proceed to unlock your MOTO G4 Bootloader, please read following,
In case you didn’t know, bootloader is a little bit of code that tells your device’s operating system how to boot up. Motorola has done the work to make sure your device has a fully optimized, certified and tested version of Android. If you are a developer, unlocking the bootloader will allow you to customize your device, but keep the following in mind:
- You will lose all media and content on your device and will need to reinstall all applications downloaded from Google Play.
- Applications may not work anymore.
- You may lose encryption support.
- May lose some key functions like telephone, radio, and audio playback.
- This could cause permanent/physical damage to your device.
- Unlocking your bootloader will not change your device subsidy lock status
Unlock MOTO G4 Plus (Athene) Bootloader
Now to unlock you MOTO G4 Plus, we need few things installed on PC.
So to start with, first of all, go to settings, scroll down to the bottom and tap on About Device.
- Then tap on Software Info and Tap multiple times on build number to Turn on Developer options.
- Now go back to main settings and look for Developer options and under Developer options, Turn on OEM Unlock. Also Turn on USB Debugging.
- Then boot MOTO G4 Plus into fastboot mode by pressing Volume Down +Volume Up.
- Now, connect you MOTO G4 to your PC and open up command prompt.
- Type fastboot devices command to check if your MOTO G4 Plus is connected.
- Next, Type fastboot oem get_unlock_data in the Command prompt window. This will return a long alphanumeric code.
$ fastboot oem get_unlock_data (bootloader) 0F09G937G4824205#4C4D3556313230 (bootloader) 30373731363031303332323239#BD00 (bootloader) 8A672BA4746C2CE02328A2AC0C39F95 (bootloader) 1A3E5#1F53280002000000000000000 (bootloader) 0000000
- Now copy this code and edit it. Paste together the 5 lines of output into one continuous string without (bootloader) or ‘INFO’ or white spaces. Your string needs to look like this:
- Now visit, Motorola Site and Sign in or Sign up using your email ID.
- Then on the next page. Paste the above code into the box. Then click on “Can my device be Unlocked”.
- If your device can be unlocked, you will see a green button by scrolling down a little. Click on Unlock Key button and you will recieve the unlock code on your Email Id that you used earlier to sign in or sign up.
- Then simply type following command in CMD and hit enter.
fastboot oem unlock "YOURKEY" (Replace YOURKEY with the key you received)
Now, your device will not be unlocked, you will get a warning message and will be asked to enter the same above command again to confirm Unlocking the bootloader. Just type previous command with unlock key and hit enter.
Now your Moto G4 Plus bootloader will be unlocked successfully. From now onward, you can mod your Moto G4 Plus by installing Custom Recovery, Root G4 or install Xposed Installer.
Please Watch the following video to understand instructions better.
Install TWRP Recovery on MOTO G4 Plus (Athene)
Once you have unlocked any Android device, installing Custom recovery like TWRP or CWM is quick and easy. So to install TWRP recovery on Moto G4 Plus or any other Motorola device, we need to download TWRP Recovery.
- Go to the download folder where TWRP File you downloaded is stored.
- Press Shift and Right click to open Command Prompt Window in that folder.
- Now reboot Moto G4 Plus to Fastboot mode. Turn off your device. Press & hold, Volume down button and power button.
- Now type fastboot flash recovery twrp.img and hit enter. Replace twrp.img with the name of the TWRP file you downloaded. The TWRP will be flashed successfully.
- To boot into recovery, just Press & hold, Volume Up button and Power button.
Root MOTO G4 Plus (Athene) Running Android Nougat
To root MOTO G4 Plus, we need to flash a zip file using the TWRP recovery. So we will be using a memory card to store superuser.zip and Elemental Kernal file and then flash it using Custom recovery.
- First, turn off your MOTO G4 Plus. Then Press & hold, Volume Up button and power button to boot into recovery.
- Now flash the ElementalX Kernel first. Tap on install and browse ElementalX file. On flashing, you will see a wizard mode for installation. Tap on Next, agree with the Terms of Usage.
- Then choose Maximum A53 CPU Frequency. Choose it stock at around 1500 but you can choose any.
- Next, select if you want Sweep2sleep feature or not. In other settimngs, untick all three options. Finall, tap on install ElementalX to install it on your Moto G4 Plus.
- Now tap on back button to go back to home screen. The tap on install then browse the Superuser.zip file and tap on it to select. Then swipe right to confirm and flash the zip.
- Once successfully flashed, reboot your MOTO G4 Plus.
- Now go to Google Play Store and install Phh’s Superuser. That’s it, enjoy the rooted Moto G4 Plus.
Now you can enjoy your unlocked and rooted Moto G4 Plus running Android Nougat 7.0 with TWRP custom recovery installed. You can go ahead and install Xposed to get full access and control your Moto G4 Plus. You will get loads of modules under xposed to customize your Moto G4 Plus. Please Subscribe if this guide worked for you, comment like and share this this post if you liked it. it’s been Good will be back with Another tutorial soon.