This is a How to install Custom Roms guide for Motorola Moto E users. This guide will show you Android 5.1 (Lollipop), which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device, installation .
Please Note : Rooting or Flashing Custom Roms/Recovery voids your device’s warranty. so do it at your own risk. I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards. Please do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you. :p
Prerequisites (Things to remember before installing the CyanogenMod CM12.1 Unofficial nightly build):
- Users are advised to update their third party add-ons to ensure compatibility
- The CM backupscript.sh in recovery will ignore and remove incompatible applications from your system partition (these are usually non-CM apps that users have opted to install). You must install a compatible app (or app pack) to regain that functionality
- You can flash CM12.1 directly from CM12 or CM11 M12 or CM 11 nightlies (no need to wipe), provided you read and followed items 1 and 2
- Once on CM12.1, you cannot downgrade back to CM11 without wiping – if you are thinking of just exploring the release, then take a backup of your existing installation if you want to go back to it.
- Users must install Lollipop OS compatible recovery before installing the new CM12 custom ROM.
- Make sure the device is rooted before going forward for custom ROM installation.
- This CyanogenMod [official] Android 5.1 Lollipop CM11 M12 custom ROM can be installed on Moto E (1st Gen) aka Condor models if tried on other devices, it might get bricked [To check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> model number]
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing of memory in the smartphone, so make sure to back all the data by installing Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery/ TWRP in the smartphone.
- Users make sure they have installed USB drivers on the PC, or else your device (Moto G) will not be recognised by the computer.
- Make sure your device has more than 80% battery, or else there is chance of smartphone getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted mid-way.
Tutorial: Step by step installation procedure of CyanogenMod [unofficial] CM12.1 custom ROM Nightly based on Android 5.1 Lollipop on Motorola Moto E (1st Gen) aka Condor :
Step 1: Download CyanogenMod [official] Android 5.1 Lollipop CM12.1 custom ROM (HERE) and Google Apps (HERE) in to your PC.
Step 2: Connect Motorola Moto E (1st Gen) aka Titan to PC via USB cord.
[Note: Before plugging the phone to the computer, be sure that you have installed USB driver software, if not, click HERE to download the firmware]
Step 3: Then, place CyanogenMod CM12.1 Android 5.1 Lollipop Custom ROM zip file and Google Apps file into the phone’s SD card memory. [Note: Users are advised to paste the .zip file in SD card root, not in any other folder.]
[Note: Before users’ begin installing the custom software, be sure that the device must have rooted and has installed ClockworkMod Recovery/TWRP tool.]
Step 4: Now, turn off the device and disconnect from the PC.
Step 5: Then perform the regular Recovery Mode sortie by press holding ‘Volume (Down)’ and ‘Power’ buttons.
Step 6: After entering the RECOVERY mode, clear the phone memory, by choosing ‘wipe data/factory reset’
[Note: use ‘Volume’ keys to navigate and ‘Power’ button to select options, while operating under Recovery Mode]
Step 7: Now, clear the cache memory by selecting ‘wipe cache partition’
Step 8: Then to go back to Recovery mode, and select ‘advanced’ and tap ‘wipe dalvik cache’ [Note: This step is optional, but many recommend this procedure so that user will not face boot loops or any other errors in the middle of custom ROM installation]
Step 9: Again come back to main recovery screen and then tap ‘install zip from SD card’
Step 10: Then tap ‘choose zip from sdcard’ and go to Android ROM .zip file in SD card and enter the installation process. Repeat the same procedure again to install the Google Apps. [Note: use ‘Volume’ keys to navigate and ‘Power’ button to select options]
Step 11: Once done with the installation process, navigate to ‘+++++Go Back+++++’ and re-start the device by opting ‘reboot system now’ seen in the recovery menu.
Now, your device (Moto E 1st Gen) will take a few minutes to complete the booting process.
- RIL (Should now be fully fixed)
- Gallery Video OK
Not Working /Issues
- No video recording, even if app says it works.
- PM me if you find any issues with logcat only.
Source : XDA
Before You Go…
Just wanted to let you know thatWe’ve launched YouTube Channel where we upload awesome video content. Make sure you hit the subscribe button to stay up to date with the new videos we upload every week. Also Subscribe us for more How To Guides and Reviews…!!! @http://youtube.com/checknma for more How to Guides.